Golden Gate Gene Club
"It's a Boy"Meeting
featuring Trent Osborne
4th gathering this year was at Fresh Choice in Santa Clara, "It's a Boy,"
was in honor of Ashton Drake's dashing new star, Trent Osborn. Club members
displayed him in Playing the Ponies, a couple of Denis Bastien's Affordable
Designs outfits and knitwear by Vera's aunt. The hard vinyl ladies came
out in droves as well, including three Diamond Evenings, Franklin Mint's
Twiggy in her incredible carrying case and a stable of new Tylers.
Darin, Debbie, Marty, Joyce and Kristan were the contestants for "Weakest Link," hosted by a black-clad Vicki
Walker. The prize was a Blue Fox Gene, so there was no point in "banking,"
but other hallmarks of the game were in evidence. Kristan got both her
questions right in the first round and was summarily voted off for it.
Joyce, who dislikes voting off contestants, had to make a tie-breaking
choice after a round in which no questions were answered correctly. (She
bounced Darin.) Joyce beat Marty in the final round 1-0 when she knew
which of Scarlet Temptress Madra's eyebrows was red. ("This one," she
22 people fans attended, including (for the first time in some time) Van, former club president Alice, and another first timer Cherie.
Trent is the Man of the hour, wearing "Playing the Ponies".
Simply Gene in outfit by Patrice.
Joyce and Kristan
volunteered to play the
"Weakest Link" Game.
Our "Weakest Link"
Master of Ceremonies
Trent in a Denis Bastian
golfing outfit and Willow
Twiggy in a Daisy and Willow outfit
Check out the great trunk!!
Two of Robert Tonner's
finest, "Look of Luxe" and "Esme".
Trent in another emsemble by Denis Bastian.
Looks like he had a little skiing accident!
Repainted Betsy McCall by
Holly Miner and mix and match
ensemble on Cold Shoulder.
Diamond Evening Gene,
and Cover Girl Esme
Madra wears Suddenly Spring
a Fashion Boulevard ensemble.
Let Vicki Walker test your Gene Trivia prowess!!
Sources for these included story cards,
"Girl Star" and the Carolyn Cook Gene book, second edition.
* What TV series was Trent Osborn starring in just before his death
in 1976? "Bachelor Grandpa"
* What birth year does Madra Lord share with screen icons Lucille
Ball, Ginger Rogers and Jean Harlow
* In what state was Mel Odom born?
* Spell Blond as it appears on the story card for Blond Lace.
* Spell Blonde as it appears in the book "Girl Star" on Blonde Lace.
* In what 1946 film does Gene Marshall portray Margot Holland?
* Gene Marshall portrays florist Alexis Devlin in which 1952 film?
* What original member of the Gene Team designed the outfits Iced
Coffee and Embassy Luncheon?
* Which network aired Gene Marshall's Christmas specials?
* What 1950 film ends with Gene Marshall wearing Honeymoon?
* What costume was worn in Gene's USO Tour finale?
* Current Gene Team member Lynne Day designed the gowns for which
Oscar-winning actress in "L.A. Confidential"?
* The first FAO Schwarz exclusive doll wore which Timothy Alberts
* Which of the "Shooting Star" costumes does Gene wear in the movie's
* What was Trent Osborn's real name?
* What designer of "Bird of Paradise" won a Tony for his costume work
in the Broadway play "The Producers"?
* What song did Gene Marshall sing on Cora Harper's radio broadcast
from Chicago in 1941?
*Which current Gene Team member does the hairstyles?
* Which Gene Team designer modeled the outfit "Love Paris" on an outfit
his mother wore when she was 17?
* What is the name of the movie in which Gene Marshall wears Iced
* The 2001 Madra item initially announced as Summer/Winter Set is
now known as what?
* According to "Girl Star," which brand of perfume does Madra throw
into a powder room mirror at the aborted 1941 premiere of "Deep Devotion"?
*What designer's work inspired both Secret Sleuth and the Simply Gene
*Which current Gene team designer was formerly employed at FAO Schwarz
before designing Bridge Club, *Heart of Hollywood and Tennis Anyone?
FINAL ROUND QUESTIONS:
*What was Mel Odom's original name for Gene Marshall's rival, Madra
*In the film "Accidental Star," Gene is mistaken for what celebrity
known for her signature sunglasses?
*On half of the 2001 limited edition Madra Scarlet Temptress, which
of Madra's eyebrows is red?
*What did Erik von Sternberg and Zena Thor name their son who was
born during the filming of "Blonde Lace"?
*What Young Designers of America winner from the 1999 line was originally
called Tea Time on the Veranda?
*What country is Gene team designer Jose Ferrand from?
*Who put the dumb in Mel Odom?
*Who is running an intellectual marathon in ribbon-tie shoes?
*Who's suffering from Gumby brain?
to Summary page